Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Applying Leadership Skills

Dear Leadership Fellows,

I am pleased to launch the first phase of the AYLG Network E-discussion series on Applying Leadership Skills.

The AYLG Leadership Course introduced several leadership skills deemed essential for effective leadership. These include recognition of different Leadership Styles and attributed, Systems Thinking for Transformational Change, Cross-cultural Communication, Negotiation, Team building and networking.

To briefly recap, the Systems Thinking for Transformational Change module introduced the idea of radical or breakthrough improvement in reaching our goals. So innovations or alternative approaches may help us yield better and faster results. Keeping the bigger picture in mind and not fixating on the parts was another element of the systems thinking approach that encourages us to look at the system as a whole. Leverage points- when small actions yield large results. And finally, the three central systems thinking insights, Exploring Behavior Over Time, Facilitating Self-sustaining Change and Anticipating Resistance.

In Negotiation, the Mutual Gains Approach (MGA) was introduced that provides an alternative to the hard bargaining approach and encourages players to seek out interests and not focus on positions. Creating value, analyzing your Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement (BATNA) and distributing value fairly form the main elements of the MGA. We negotiate in our lives daily and may be using negotiation concepts intuitively but the MGA provides a structured approach to reaching a mutually beneficial resolution.

The application of some of these skills require what are sociologically termed soft skills that are not sector specific but relate to, for example, personality traits, openness, optimism, empathy, responsibility and integrity. For instance, cross cultural communication demands openness and respect for other cultures. While self awareness and knowing your own culture if the first step, being non-judgmental and recognizing the values behind different behaviors is equally important when communicating with diverse cultures. Even for the Mutual Gains Approach to yield effective results, there has to be sincerity and openness when creating value (coming up with alternative solutions). This e-discussion will focus on how you have applied these leadership skills in your professional lives.


Can you share with us an experience, or anecdote, where you applied one or more of these skills in your work? Did the MGA allow you to work out more amicable solutions with your government counterpart or local community leader? Has the Systems Thinking insight into facilitating self sustaining change helped you create a lasting impact in your organization? Have you run some of the leadership course sessions for your own organization?

Following this broad template, please share with us your experience in applying these leadership skills:
Leadership Skill: (Skill applied)

The Story: (How and in what context you applied this skill?)

Results/ Critical factors: (What difference did it make?)

We plan to compile your responses and potentially publish them as Leadership Skills Action Briefs.

We look forward your active contributions in capturing the application of the leadership course skills.

Thank you in advance for your contributions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a great sum up. Thanks maha

AYLG Network Facilitator said...

Thanks Mahmoud! But I hope someone will at least share their experience of applying the skills. The e-discussion was launched on the 9th and still no contributions :(

chandani said...

Dear Fellows,

As administers in our country the biggest challenge we face are how to deal with unnecessary political interventions. They try to manipulate even a very minute operational activity to gain benefits for them.Their decisions are entirely focused on their next election.

In this context I am going to describe how I solved a critical issue in our office.

I was appointed to investigate a petition against a Manager of a Samurdhi Bank. Petition had being sent by some of the subordinates of the above manager. Even before I started the investigation local politician talked to me and said that, this manager need to be transferred to another bank.(We have 10 Samurdhi Banks in our Divisional Secretariat.) Through out the investigation there were some reminders from the politician. However I was able to carry out the investigation and provide a win win situation for all of us including myself,Divisional Secretary(my boss),Manager and the subordinates.I think the solution has not badly affected the politician, because although he had talked in several instances with my boss, (after carrying out my recommendations) he hasn't mention the case in any instance and my boss is still in good relationship with him.

I think the negotiation skills as well as systems thinking help me to achieve that target.

Since I know I couldn't obey the instruction of the politician I did following things:

I made the situation clear to my boss.
I waited till the election is over to give my recommendations.
I incorporated most of the suggestions given by petitioners(most of the suggestions are initially proposed by me. But I was able to sell them successfully so they now actually believe what I am given as recommendations are what they really wanted). Then considering the managers ideas, her creativity and efforts to develop the bank are recognized.(That bank was rated as 3rd among 10 banks in the last year)Actually she is a hard worker. Two persons who had initiate the petition were acting against her because they couldn't abandon their duty and carry out their malpractices with her. Others were only complying with them because they have a high connection with the politician.

Now my boss has appointed me to hold a progress review meeting in every two months time with all the members of the Bank to discuss their grievances if they have any. So now the politician doesn't have to intervene with the functions of the bank.

However I wonder whether the politician will think me as a treat to him in the long run.